Always wanted to learn, or brush up on your dance skills? You’re in luck, Vancouver has a couple great free outdoor dance classes in the summer. It’s a great activity for beginners and it’s a fun, social way to stay active while enjoying Vancouver’s beautiful weather. This summer, get your groove on at Robson Square downtown, or at Roundhouse Mews in Yaletown.
Benefits of Dance
- Dancing keeps your joints lubricated as you move through your range of motion while dancing
- It improves your heart health be elevating heart rate (and keeping it up)
- Helps improve your blood cholesterol levels and blood lipid profile
- It’s fun!
- Burns calories
- Improves balance and coordination – by working through a set of carefully planned moves, your body practices its coordination and balance
- Works your core muscles as you bounce, jive, tap and stabilize
- Keeps you social (if you want!). Meet new people and connect with others should you want to dance with new partners!
Robson Square Dancing – DanceSport BC
Dates: Friday August 4th, Friday August 11th, from 7 – 11:30pm. Lessons are at 7 & 8pm, demos are at 9 & 10pm.
7:00pm – New Beginner Lesson
7:30pm – Social Dancing
8:00pm – Beginner Lesson
8:45pm – Social Dancing
9:00pm – Showcase Demonstrations
9:25pm – Social Dancing
10:00pm – Showcase Demonstrations
10:20pm – Social Dancing
11:30pm – Last Waltz
Out in the Street at Yaletown Roundhouse- Vancouver Swing Society
Dates: Saturday August 5th, Sunday August 20th, Sunday August 27th. Free live music as well!
1:00pm – Free Beginner Swing Dance Lesson with Rhythm City Productions
1:30pm – Free Live Music
2:30pm – Free Beginner Swing Dance Lesson with Rhythm City Production
3:00pm – Free Live Music
What is your favourite style of dance? Hip hop, foxtrot, salsa…? Tell us below!
Blog post written by James Hsin – Client Care Manager
James is currently studying in his 3rd year at kinesiology at UBC, and grew up a relatively active individual. He has been training primarily in Muay Thai for the past 4 years, training with champions and beginners alike. James is a firm believer that exercise should be like playing around – it’s better if its fun! James hopes he can share how his fitness journey has encouraged him to grow, and hopes to inspire you to do the same.