Homemade vegan chickpea burger is a great alternative to your regular store-bought burgers. It’s free of additives and you choose what goes into your food. With just a little prep, try making these delicious burgers for your next event or potluck. Surprise your friends with this yummy meat-free dish!
|Chickpea||2 cups||Cooked and drained; if canned, drain and quickly rinse|
|Garlic powder/cloves||1/2 tsp or 3 cloves||Adjust according to preference|
|Salt and pepper||A dash||Adjust according to preference|
|Vegetable oil||Enough for frying|
|All purpose flour||1/4 cup||Sifted|
|Cilantro||1/2 cup (loosely packed)||Chopped|
|Paprika or chipotle powder||1/2-1 tsp||Adjust according to preference|
|Burger buns||6||Lightly toasted|
|Red onion||1||Sliced thinly|
- In a large bowl, mash cooked chickpeas using a fork, a potato masher, or food processor until it’s almost completely mashed.
- Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic powder, cloves, cilantro, paprika/chipotle powder, and flour. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle some flour over a cutting board. If it’s too wet or sticky, add more flour – this makes forming a ball easier. Scoop the batter and roll into 5-6 evenly sized patties.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet on medium heat. Make sure that it’s well heated so the patties don’t stick once you start cooking. Add a drizzle of oil in a frying pan or skillet. Lightly pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Assemble the burger buns with chickpea patty with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and condiments.
A delicious and wholesome vegan meal for everyone to enjoy! What vegan recipes do you enjoy making? Let us know!